- Project: day 19: cooking it up: fall/winter Chicken, Black Bean, and Cilantro Soup, SO good!
- Difficulty rating (1=easiest, 5= way too hard!): 2
- Would I do it again? most definitely, this soup will become one of our fall/winter staples, it was that good!
- What I would do differently: we added avocado along with the sour cream and lime juice to top it off, why not, avocado is just so good!
- Items used: (our changes made in blue)
Chicken, Black Bean and Cilantro Soup
(Makes 6-8 servings, recipe created by Kalyn.) (we double this since we took half of it to our friends who just had a baby, hope you liked it Lindsey!)
1 small onion, diced small
1 cup celery, diced small (use celery leaves too if available)
2 tsp. olive oil
1 T ground cumin
1 T chile powder
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. garlic powder or garlic puree (we used the powder)
4 cups homemade chicken stock (or 2 cans chicken broth)
1 can vegetable broth
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 cup salsa (I used Pace Picante Sauce) (we used Costco’s Kirkland Organic)
6-8 drops Green Tabasco Sauce or your favorite hot sauce (taste to see if you want this) (our favorite hot sauce is Cholula)
1 or 2 cans black beans (not drained unless you choose to rinse the beans to reduce the amount of sodium) (we drained and rinsed the beans so we could control the salt level in the end, which we just added a pinch.)
2 cups cooked chicken, cut in very small pieces (leftover rotisserie chicken is great for this) (since we double the recipe, we used a whole rotisserie, they save so much time!)
1 cup chopped cilantro leaves and stems (chop the stems very small), plus more for serving if desired
3 T fresh lime juice
cut limes, for serving (optional) (this part is crucial!)
sour cream, for serving (optional) (this part is crucial!)
top with avocado!
In a large heavy soup pot, saute onions and celery in olive oil 3-5 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the ground cumin, chile powder, celery seed, and garlic and saute about 2 minutes more.
Add the chicken stock, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and salsa, and simmer 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, taste for hotness and add green Tabasco if desired. Add black beans and chicken and simmer 15-20 minutes more. While the soup simmer, wash, dry and chop enough fresh cilantro to make 1 cup chopped cilantro. and squeeze enough limes to make 3 T juice.
After 15-20 minutes, add the chopped cilantro and simmer 5 minutes, then add lime juice and cook 2-3 minutes more. Serve hot with fresh limes to squeeze into the soup, with sour cream and additional chopped cilantro to sprinkle on top if desired.
To make a delicious vegetarian soup, use 3 cans vegetable broth and eliminate the chicken stock, and 3 cans black beans and eliminate the chicken.
until ipinterest tomorrow!
Karie J 🙂
- day 19: cooking it up: fall/winter Chicken, Black Bean, and Cilantro Soup, SO good! (ipinterest.wordpress.com)
- day 35: cooking it up/ winter Thai chicken-coconut soup (ipinterest.wordpress.com)
- Holy Mole Chicken and Squash Chili (fiveandspice.wordpress.com)
- Black Bean Soup (hungryhugheys.wordpress.com)
- A Winter Warmer: Chicken Tortilla Soup (blogher.com)
- Black Bean and Smoked Chicken Soup (themagnoliacafe.wordpress.com)
- Curried Squash and White Bean Soup (thedailymeal.com)
- Tom Kha Gai soup on the fly (canadianlivingineurope.wordpress.com)
- Recent food choices (momwifefitnesslife.wordpress.com)
- Black Bean Soup with Roasted Red Pepper, Cumin and Cinnamon (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)