- Project: day 42: cooking it up/ citrus and spice grilled chicken with southwestern black bean salad, yum!
- Difficulty rating (1=easiest, 5= way too hard!): salad (1- so easy!), chicken (4- but it is definitely worth it!)
- Would I do it again? most definitely for the chicken, it has a ton of flavor; the girls inhaled it! The salad was very easy, but might be better for the summer time (it was light and refreshing).
- What I would do differently: chicken: tenderize the chicken by puncturing with a fork, which also allows the marinade to penetrate deeper. salad: add more cilantro, and don’t forget to thaw the corn (yes, again I forgot to read the recipe thoroughly! 😉
- Items used: chicken recipe from Cooks Country: http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Citrus-and-Spice-Grilled-Chicken-/30909/?extcode=M00KSCR00
- Salad recipe from Skinny Taste: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/06/southwestern-black-bean-salad.html
citrus and spice grilled chicken
Serves 4 to 6
1 onion, chopped course
1teaspoon grated lime zest, plus 1/4 cup juice (2 limes)
6 garlic cloves
2tablespoons olive oil
1tablespoons grated orange zest (2 oranges)
2teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2teaspoons salt
1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2teaspoon ground cumin
1/8teaspoon ground cloves
3pounds bone-in chicken pieces, trimmed (breasts halved crosswise)
1 (13 by 9-inch) disposable aluminum roasting pan (for charcoal grill only)
1. Process onion, lime juice, garlic, oil, orange zest, oregano, salt, lime zest, pepper, lime juice, cinnamon, cumin, and cloves in food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds; transfer to zipper-lock bag. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and add to bag, turning to coat. Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
2A. For a charcoal grill: Open bottom vent completely and place pan in center of grill. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (6 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour into 2 even piles on either side of pan. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
2B. For a gas grill: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn all burners to medium-low. (Adjust burners as needed to maintain grill temperature around 350 degrees.)
3. Clean and oil cooking grate. Place chicken skin side up on grill (in center of grill if using charcoal). Cover and cook until bottom is browned and chicken registers 155 degrees, about 25 minutes.
4. Flip chicken skin side down. If using charcoal, slide chicken to hot part of grill. If using gas, turn all burners to high. Cook until well browned and breasts register 160 degrees and thighs/drumsticks register 175 degrees, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve.
Southwestern Black Bean Salad
Gina’s Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 12 • Size: 1/2 cup • Calories: 106 • Old Points: 2.5 pts • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 105.9 • Fat: 6.0 g • Protein: 3.2 g • Carb: 13.0 g • Fiber: 3.6 g Sugar: 1.2 g
Sodium: 137.8 mg
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 9 oz frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 small hass avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- salt and fresh pepper
Combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix with lime juice and olive oil. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes. Add avocado before serving.
until ipinterest tomorrow!
Karie J 🙂
- day 42: cooking it up/ citrus and spice grilled chicken with southwestern black bean salad, yum! (ipinterest.wordpress.com)
- Chicken With Black Bean and Mango Salad (self.com)
- Pollo a las Brasas (Charcoal-Grilled Chicken on a Stick) (thedailymeal.com)
- Citrus-Picante Chicken and Melon Salad (laceysrecipebook.wordpress.com)
- Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette (jazzinthekitchen.wordpress.com)
- Dinner Shortcuts: Fresh Salsa and Cut Fruit (wholefoodsmarket.com)
- Crockpot Southwestern Chicken (whiteexcalibur.wordpress.com)
- A Visit to La Arboleda (theinspiredpacker.wordpress.com)
- Summer Grilling with Hass Avocados (avocadocentral.com)
- Grilled Rum & Lime Caribbean Chicken (delishdinners.wordpress.com)