MY “PINTERESTING” TAKE:
“PINSPIRATION”, FROM PINTEREST:
• Project: day 71: organizational chaos/ big black garbage bag clean out/ spring cleaning the kids rooms!
• Difficulty rating (1=easiest, 5= way too hard!): 2 (turned to a 3 when the girls saw what I was doing 😉
• Would I do it again? yes! I NEED to do this more often, not just before we move. Maybe every 3 months, or 6…. 😉
• What I would do differently: in the past I always tried to get the girls involved, which is why I always hesitated to do this, but it’s really tough. They really don’t want to part with anything! Maybe when they’re older they can do it, but for now, I’ll have to keep dong this myself 🙂
• Items used: BIG black trash bags. I ended up using 8 ocmplety full bags: 2 that I was going to completey trash the items, 1 that I will hopefully sell the items as soon as I have the time, and 5 that are gong to be donated! Amazing that there was that much stuff to get rid of!
Below is the site where there is a TON of organizational tips, love it! http://www.memoriesoncloverlane.com/search/label/My%20Cleaning%20And%20Laundry%20System and
Cleaning House: An Overview
Once every couple months, I do a “black garbage bag” clean-out. This is the best way to start with the “program” and just about my favorite thing on earth to do. I use black garbage bags because I don’t want the kids or Jeff to see what I’m throwing away/giving to Goodwill, OR they might all of a sudden decide they just LOVE something they haven’t seen for years and/or never touched before in their lives. Once you do this once or twice you will start to see a difference and love your house again. (I do sometimes ask the older kids to do this with me in their rooms…esp. with clothes or if I’m not sure if the “use” something…but this is mostly done when no one is aware.)
The reason I do this:
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING – THE LESS STUFF YOU HAVE THE EASIER IT IS TO KEEP YOUR HOUSE CLEANED AND STRAIGHTENED.
The kids won’t miss it I swear. And if you think they might, put a “KEEP FOR AWHILE” garbage bag in your attic/basement (hidden) and see if a whole 6 months go by without them asking for it. I don’t really buy the kids a lot, but birthday parties and Christmas and with 5 kids…you know how that adds up. So, we don’t have a ton of clothes, toys, crap, because it’s just too much work to keep it all organized. And they will play with fewer toys more than they will play with tons of toys. Just watch…put everything away but 5 things and all of a sudden you will see them “LOVE ” those things.
That goes for MY stuff to: if you don’t LOVE it, and it’s just taking up space, get rid of it.
ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING.
In the kitchen most especially…every appliance you don’t use, bowl, tupperware, etc…how many spatulas do you need?…and don’t use the “I might use it one day” excuse…if you don’t use it OFTEN, get rid of it. If you miss it terribly, and you regret getting rid of it so bad and mourn for it’s loss, then buy another one. That’s what stores are for. If you have trouble with this, read the book, “It’s All Too Much” by Peter Walsh…excellent!
Until ipinterest tomorrow!
Karie J 🙂
- day 69: organizational chaos/ kids seasonal book organization/storage idea with free printable labels! (ipinterest.me)
- The Cozumel Beach Clean-Up (msamyew.wordpress.com)
- Musings Alongside the Road (sporadicintelligence.wordpress.com)
- Waste Authority mulls garbage bag limit (blogs.windsorstar.com)
- Fab Exclusive! Project Runway’s Jay Talks About Second Win and Why Nina’s Opinion Matters Most (fabsugar.com)
- Set garbage bag limits, report urges (windsorstar.com)
- Gang Stalking – The government, dumpster diving. (neverending1.wordpress.com)
- day 34: organizational chaos/ kiddo chore chart! (ipinterest.wordpress.com)
- day 50: organizational chaos/ how to clean your microfiber sofa/couch, DIY (ipinterest.wordpress.com)
- day 36: house decor/organizational chaos/ updated dresser knobs for the kids, DIY! (ipinterest.wordpress.com)