Project: day 39: baking away/ pear galette with apricot preserves, yum!
• Difficulty rating (1=easiest, 5= way too hard!): 1
• Would I do it again? yes, it was super yummy, and very easy (especially using a pre-made crust)!
• What I would do differently: nothing! The only thing we changed from the original was to use pre-made crust dough)
• Items used: see recipe below from Two Peas and their Pod ( http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/pear-galette/ )
Yield: Serves 6-8 Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons apricot preserves
2 large Bartlett pears, thinly sliced
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
1. To make the dough, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, and salt in a processor; pulse 2-3 times. Add butter and pulse 4-5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the processor running, slowing pour the buttermilk through the chute, processing until the dough forms a ball. Remove the dough ball and adhere any remaining pieces of dough to it, then wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling out.
2. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
3. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Starting at the center of the dough, roll out, forming a 14-15-inch wide circle. Place the dough with parchment paper on a baking sheet. Brush the bottom of the dough with the apricot preserves. Arrange sliced pears in a spoke pattern on the galette dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the border over the pears, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds.
4. Lightly brush the edge of the dough with the egg and sprinkle crust and pears with turbinado sugar.
5. Bake the galette for 45-50 minutes, or until the pears are tender and the crust is golden brown. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
until ipinterest tomorrow!
Karie J 🙂
- day 39: baking away/ pear galette with apricot preserves, yum! (ipinterest.wordpress.com)
- La Galette hollandaise (daysontheclaise.blogspot.com)
- Galette des Rois Recipe (thedailymeal.com)
- Doctor’s orders: Make a pie! Or an apple-pear galette (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Bakin’ Vegan – Cruelty-Free Carbs. (elephantjournal.com)
- Almond and Mixed Berry Crostata (potterybarn.com)
- Pioneer Woman’s Flat Apple Pie! With Some Pears 🙂 (thecurlybaker.com)
- Choose Your Favorite Recipe for Dog Treats (organic-pet-digest.com)
- Apricot-Almond Tart (thedailymeal.com)