Project: day 35: cooking it up/ winter Thai chicken-coconut soup
• Difficulty rating (1=easiest, 5= way too hard!): 2
• Would I do it again? yes, however we changed the recipe a touch (in red below), and would even change it up a bit more next time (see below).
• What I would do differently: The soup was very good (probably 3 stars out of 4), but we changed up the original (the girls had the original recipe, but we spiced it up a bit for ourselves!). Next time we would add two cans of coconut milk, mushrooms, and two limes)
• Items used: Recipe below:
Total time: 30 minutes
Under 45 Minutes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, scrubbed and chopped into approximately 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup small white or red potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into approximately 1/2-inch pieces
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk (we did a cup, we love the coconut taste!)
- 1/2 cup skim milk (we did a cup)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz each)
- 1/2 cup snow peas, cleaned and cut lengthwise (we used sugar snap peas since that was what we had on hand!)
- 1 tsp red chile pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 to 2 tsp fresh lemon juice (we used lime since we like the flavor better)
- 4 tbsp cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Four ourselves and not the kiddos, we added Sriracha Thai hot sauce and fish sauce for a bit more flavor)
- Heat oil in a pot over medium. Add garlic, onion, carrots and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until onions are lightly translucent.
- Add broth and coconut and skim milks. Bring to a light boil.
- Add chicken, cover and let simmer for 12 minutes over medium-low to medium heat.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Add peas and chile flakes to soup. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, slice chicken and add pieces back to the soup.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Add lemon juice, sprinkle in cilantro and serve.
until ipinterest tomorrow!
Karie J 🙂
- day 35: cooking it up/ winter Thai chicken-coconut soup (ipinterest.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (erindownswilson.wordpress.com)
- Thai Chicken-Coconut Soup! (glutenfreemedley.wordpress.com)
- Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (secret-agent-josephine.com)
- Tom Kha Gai soup on the fly (canadianlivingineurope.wordpress.com)
- day 60: cooking it up/mixing it up: yummy tortellini soup with basil, sausage, and spinach (ipinterest.wordpress.com)
- Coconut Chicken Soup (happyandfitby40.com)
- Braised Pork and Coconut Soup (thedailymeal.com)
- Susan’s Coconut Thai Veggie Soup (awellroundedlife.wordpress.com)
- Thai Chicken and Pumpkin Curry (thedailymeal.com)